Cefn Ila Maternity Hospital
This beautiful old house is where the BikeBrothers were born, Nic in 1958 and Andy in 1960. Cefn Ila had a long and colourful history, it once belonged to one Edward Trelawney who was a close friend of Shelly and Byron. The. One of our main cycling routes home from Usk, 'the Traditional', takes us past the site of where Cefn Ila once stood and we often stop and look across the fields towards the place of our birth. The house that most people knew as Cefn Ila Maternity Hospital was built on the site of an earlier Cefn Ila house by Joseph Lister in the late 1800’s, he also made various improvements to the estate, this work was carried out by architect Alfred Waterhouse (July19, 1830 – August 22, 1905). Joseph Lister died in 1885 in a riding accident. The house and estate was sold by Lister’s widow. By the turn of the 20th century the house belonged to Gerard Gustavus Ducarel, the 4th Marquis de la Pasture who had escaped with his family from France during the revolution. In 1925 Cefn Ila was annexed to Pontypool Hospital and opened as 'The Kate Ayres Gustard Convalescent Home', and as such it provided a convalescent home for 24 women and children. By 1939, due to the 2nd world war, it was used as a sick bay for children evacuated to the area from London and other cities. In 1947 Cefn Ila was brought back into service by Pontypool Hospital as a maternity home with accommodation for 18 patients, in 1948 it was taken over by the National Health Service, continuing as a Maternity Unit. Cefn Ila Maternity Hospital closed on 3rd September 1973 and it's patients transferred to the County Hospital in Griffithstown, near Pontypool.
During the early hours of Friday 14th September 1973 fire broke out at Cefn Ila, the time of outbreak and the remote location of the house ensured that the fire had a good hold before the arrival of the fire brigade, there was also restricted access for the fire engines a lack of water for fire fighting which made things worse. The fire consumed everything except the shell of the house. Today, all that remains of this once grand house is a pile of moss-covered bricks and stone. However, the stable block remains in relatively good condition and the overgrown walled garden is still there to be seen. Nature is now reclaiming the site.
A new chapter in Cefn Ila's long history started in 2007 when most of the estate was sold by auction to the Woodland Trust (Coed Cadw). The Woodland Trust.
If you need any more information about Cefn Ila or want to know where it was....or, on the other hand, if you have any photos of Cefn Ila, information or memories just get in touch with Nic click here .
Scans of the complete 1925 book commemorating the opening of the 'The Kate Ayres Gustard Convalescent Home' (Cefn Ila) including some exciting interior photos!!!! click here.
Cefn Ila 'Now and then' photos.